This policy describes how California Institute of the Arts (“CalArts,” “we,” “our,” and/or “us”) uses and protects the information collected through the CalArts Extended Studies (“Extended Studies”) platform website. This policy is intended to be consistent with the provisions of the Internet Security and Privacy Act, the Freedom of Information Law, the Personal Privacy Protection Law and the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
CalArts complies with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) as it pertains to student records. FERPA allows for the release of specified directory information at the discretion of Extended Studies. However, Extended Studies will not disclose your personally identifiable information without your explicit consent, except to school officials with legitimate education interest. By submitting your personal information, you are consenting to CalArts holding and using your information in accordance with this policy. For more information about your rights under FERPA, please review the CalArts FERPA policy.
Information We Collect
We may collect and process the following information about you:
Registration Information: When you sign up for an account, you give us your name, email address, phone number, Social Security Number, date of birth, employer information, program information, mailing address, and other demographic information. Payment Information: When you add a credit card or payment method to your account, a third party processor receives your card information. CalArts does not store full credit card information on our servers.
Communications: We may keep a record of any correspondence and any information provided.
For information on retention please see the CalArts Data Retention Policy
How We Use Personal Information
Personally Identifiable Information
• We use the Personally Identifiable Information (PII) you submit during registration and related correspondence for processing purposes, including but not limited to attendance tracking, enrollment, academic progress and completion, grading, and performance.
• We use third-party services (MailChimp, Facebook and Instagram) to send promotional emails and customized advertising about upcoming programs and events. We only send this promotional material to you as long as you have opted in to receive it from us. You can update your preferences anytime by clicking the unsubscribe link on any email you receive from us or by emailing us at email@example.com.
• We may share your PII with internal CalArts partners, services, and systems.
• We may share general course data including but not limited to quiz or assignment submissions, grades, and your activity on the Extended Studies platform.
• Your general demographic data may be used in surveys compiled by CalArts and shared with our University and/or business partners.
Non-Personally Identifiable Information
We automatically receive and retain certain types of information whenever you interact with the Extended Studies platform. This information may be used to monitor website traffic, assist with the navigation, generate statistics, measure site activity, in order to improve the usefulness of the site, or to deliver customized online advertising relating to upcoming programs.
Non-Personally Identifiable Information includes but is not limited to:
• Requested URL (Uniform Resource Locator)
• IP (Internet Protocol) address (this may or may not identify a specific computer)
• Domain name from which you access the internet
• Referring URL
• Software (browser/operating system) used to access the page
• Date and time pages were visited
Making Changes to Your Information
You are able to correct and revise your personal information collected by CalArts by logging into your profile in the Extended Studies website or by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Cookies And Tracking Technologies
Cookies are required to use certain features on the Extended Studies platform. You can decline cookies if your browser permits, although doing so may interfere with your use of the Extended Studies platform. Most cookies are "session cookies," meaning that they are automatically deleted from your hard drive at the end of a session, like when your browser is closed. Your web browser may allow you to select a “Do Not Track” setting, which sends a signal to websites that you do not want information about your internet activity to be collected or tracked. Like many websites, this website does not respond to internet browser “Do Not Track” signals.
We employ web analytics technology that help us better manage content on our site. This technology can track your behaviors and activities on the Extended Studies platform.
To prevent unauthorized access, maintain data accuracy, and to ensure the appropriate use of information we gather about you, we have taken commercially reasonable steps to protect the integrity of the Extended Studies platform and the information contained within. CalArts maintains industry standard security controls to ensure the integrity and security of data we collect.
While we we take reasonable precautions to protect your data, no security measures can be 100% secure, and we cannot guarantee the security of your data.
You can help protect your account and information by:
• Protecting your login information and keeping it secure and unique.
• Creating a sufficiently complex password that would be difficult to guess.
• Avoid storing your password in a place where others can view it.
• Logging out of the Extended Studies platform. Not logging out could allow other individuals to inappropriately access your account and personal information.
• Avoiding posting any account information, including links, in public forums. This could include posting pictures of account information on services like Instagram, Twitter, etc.
We may disclose your personal information if a government authority requests information or if disclosure is required or appropriate in order to comply with laws, regulations, or a legal process.
All of the information (personally identifiable and otherwise) discussed in this Policy may be transferred to third parties in the event of sale or merger of CalArts, a transfer of its assets, or in the event of a bankruptcy.
Protection Of Minors
We do not knowingly collect or maintain Personally Identifiable Information on the Extended Studies platform from persons under 13 years of age, and no part of the platform is intended for persons under 13 years of age. If you are under 13 years of age, then please do not use or access the platform at any time or in any manner. We will take appropriate steps to delete any Personally Identifiable Information of persons less than 13 years of age that has been collected through the platform without verified parental consent upon learning of the existence of such Personally Identifiable Information.
If you have questions or issues regarding CalArts’ privacy practices or policies, please contact us by email at email@example.com or at:
California Institute of the Arts
Attn: Privacy Officer / IT
24700 McBean Parkway
Valencia, California 91355
Changes To This Policy
Updated May 24, 2018