Internet Explorer is not compatible with the payment feature on this site.
To optimize your experience on our website, please use Chrome, Firefox, or Safari.
Extended Studies on-campus programming will resume in Summer 2022.
Offered in Summer for high school students.
For more information on the Discover Studio Art 1-Week program, click here.
“IN THIS ENVIRONMENT THERE WILL BE NO FALSE BORDERS BETWEEN KNOWLEDGE AND IMAGINATION.” - quote from original 1960’s CalArts handbook
Discover Studio Art is an intensive experience that allows young artists an opportunity to engage with new and innovative art while thinking critically about what makes it art and developing their individual artistic voice. Students 14-17 years old participate in a series of workshops and critiques led by CalArts faculty and alumni, attend artist talks and screenings, explore methods and spend time in the studio developing skills and making art. The program gives students both inspiration and opportunity to push their personal art making further in this hands-on studio environment where they will be painting, drawing and sculpting with traditional materials and found objects. In addition, artists participate in compelling conversations to strengthen their artistic voice and discover creative pathways while creating new works suitable for college application portfolios.
Students will live and create on our beautiful Santa Clarita Valley campus located just north of Los Angeles. In addition to working closely with engaging artists and exploring art, students will have the opportunity to make friends and connect with other artists in the program by participating in a variety of on-campus social activities. Residential students will live in Chouinard Hall, CalArts’ BFA dorms, and both residential and commuter students will be able to participate in daily activities such as film screenings, games in the recreation hall or open swim in the CalArts pool. Students will also have the opportunity to participate in a field trip to Disneyland for an additional fee.
Program fee includes instruction, materials and meals. Housing is available for an additional fee.
Enrollment in Discover Studio Art is based on submission of the online application form and the instructors' review of:
- A 1-2 minute video statement in which you introduce yourself and tell us a few things about who you are as an artist. Please address the following questions:
- What is your reason for wanting to attend the CalArts Discover Art program? What do you hope to gain from this?
- What inspires you to create work? What does your artistic practice look like?
- What contemporary artists do you admire? What about their work is inspiring or interesting to you?
- 5 digital images of your artwork. Work should have been made within the last year, and should be pieces that best represent your practice and interests as an artist. Any medium is fine. Video works must not exceed a combined time limit of 5 minutes.
- One letter of recommendation from a teacher or guidance counselor
All application components should be uploaded and submitted through the online portal. If it is your school's policy to send recommendation letters directly to the receiving party, they should either email or mail it to Extended Studies at CalArts. Please be advised that applications will not be reviewed until all components are received.
Applications must be accompanied by a $25 fee.
Open to high school students age 14-17. Students must remain in that age range while program is in session.