The Summer Animation Residency is an immersive experience led by CalArts faculty and staff. Within a supportive peer community, you will have the opportunity to study the basic elements of animation— story, drawing and design— for five weeks on CalArts’ picturesque campus north of Los Angeles.
The three courses offered in this residency— Life Drawing, Story, and Design for Film— are designed to work together, and if selected to participate in the Summer Animation Residency you will enroll in all three.
Enrollment in the Summer Animation Residency is based on submission of the online application form and the instructors' review of:
- A 1-2 minute video statement addressing the following:
- What film has most inspired you to want to be an animator?
- What artist is your animation roll model?
- What do you hope to gain from being in this program?
- 5 digital images of original artwork, consisting of:
- 3 life drawings of people or animals (not from photographs)
- 1 self-portrait (from looking in a mirror; not from a photograph)
- 1 character design
Applications must be accompanied by a $25 fee.
Applicants are encouraged to finish and submit their materials as soon as possible for full consideration, as space in the program is limited. Applications will be considered— space permitting— on a rolling basis through March 31, 2020. Late applications will be accepted through April 30, 2020, space permitting. Please be advised that we reserve the right to cease reviewing applications at any time if the program becomes full.
- Open to artists age 18 and up. If you will be between the ages of 14 and 17 this summer, check out the Discover Animation program!
On-campus housing is available for students participating in Summer programs. Visit our Housing page for more information and instructions on how to apply.