To optimize your experience on our website, please use Chrome, Firefox, or Safari.
Internet Explorer is not compatible with the payment feature on this site.
This policy describes how California Institute of the Arts (“CalArts,” “we,” “our,” and/or “us”) uses and protects the information collected through the Extended Studies platform website. This policy is intended to be consistent with the provisions of the Internet Security and Privacy Act, the Freedom of Information Law, and the Personal Privacy Protection Law. California Institute of the Arts complies with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) as it pertains to student records. By submitting your personal information, you are consenting to CalArts holding and using your information in accordance with this policy.
Information We Collect
We may collect and process the following information about you:
Registration Information: When you sign up for an account, you give us your name, email address, phone number, Social Security Number, date of birth, employer information, program information, mailing address, and other demographic information. Payment Information: When you add a credit card or payment method to your account, a third party processor receives your card information. CalArts does not store full credit card information on our servers.
Communications: We may keep a record of any correspondence and any information provided.
How We Use Personal Information
Personally Identifiable Information
- We use the Personally Identifiable Information (PII) you submit during registration and related correspondence for processing purposes, including but not limited to attendance tracking, enrollment, academic progress and completion, grading, and performance.
- We may use your contact information for our marketing purposes which may include disclosing such information to third parties.
- We may share your Personally Identifiable Information with internal CalArts partners, services, and systems.
- We may share general course data including but not limited to quiz or assignment submissions, grades, and your activity on the Extended Studies platform.
- Your general demographic data may be used in surveys compiled by CalArts and shared with our University and/or business partners.
Non-Personally Identifiable Information
We automatically receive and retain certain types of information whenever you interact with the Extended Studies platform. This information may be used to monitor website traffic, assist with the navigation, generate statistics, measure site activity, in order to improve the usefulness of the site.
Non-Personally Identifiable Information includes but is not limited to:
- Requested URL (Uniform Resource Locator)
- IP (Internet Protocol) address (this may or may not identify a specific computer)
- Domain name from which you access the internet
- Referring URL
- Software (browser/operating system) used to access the page
- Date and time pages were visited
Cookies And Tracking Technologies
Cookies are required to use certain features on the Extended Studies platform. You can decline cookies if your browser permits, although doing so may interfere with your use of the Extended Studies platform. Most cookies are "session cookies," meaning that they are automatically deleted from your hard drive at the end of a session, like when your browser is closed. Your web browser may allow you to select a “Do Not Track” setting, which sends a signal to websites that you do not want information about your internet activity to be collected or tracked. Like many websites, this website does not respond to internet browser “Do Not Track” signals.
We employ web analytics technology that help us better manage content on our site. This technology can track your behaviors and activities on the Extended Studies platform.
To prevent unauthorized access, maintain data accuracy, and to ensure the appropriate use of information we gather about you, we have taken commercially reasonable steps to protect the integrity of the Extended Studies platform and the information contained within. Even though we take reasonable precautions to protect your data, no security measures can be 100% secure, and we cannot guarantee the security of your data.
You can help protect your account and information by:
- Protecting your login information and keeping it secure and unique.
- Creating a sufficiently complex password that would be difficult to guess.
- Avoid storing your password in a place where others can view it.
- Logging out of the Extended Studies platform. Not logging out could allow other individuals to inappropriately access your account and personal information.
- Avoiding posting any account information, including links, in public forums. This could include posting pictures of account information on services like Instagram, Twitter, etc.
We may disclose your personal information if a government authority requests information or if disclosure is required or appropriate in order to comply with laws, regulations, or a legal process.
All of the information (personally identifiable and otherwise) discussed in this Policy may be transferred to third parties in the event of sale or merger of CalArts, a transfer of its assets, or in the event of a bankruptcy.
Protection Of Minors
We do not knowingly collect or maintain Personally Identifiable Information on the Extended Studies platform from persons under 13 years of age, and no part of the platform is intended for persons under 13 years of age. If you are under 13 years of age, then please do not use or access the platform at any time or in any manner. We will take appropriate steps to delete any Personally Identifiable Information of persons less than 13 years of age that has been collected through the platform without verified parental consent upon learning of the existence of such Personally Identifiable Information.
If you have questions regarding this policy, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Changes To This Policy